Canada calls for skilled immigrants


Skilled Khoja workers are invited to apply for permanent residency in Canada under an Express Entry scheme. This is a fantastic opportunity for skilled Khojas to make a new life in a dynamic country.

Canada is a great place for Khojas to move to, with many thriving communities. For example, the Jaffari Community Centre in Toronto, built with $22 million in donations from many members of the worldwide Khoja community, stands tall for over 6,000 congregants in Toronto and the suburbs.

There are three programs workers can apply for under this scheme: the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class.

What you’ll need

They all require French or English skills, to varying degrees based on the program. The Federal Skilled Worker program requires the best, with a level 7 CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark), while the Canadian Experience Class requires 7 or 5 depending on occupation, and the Federal Skills Trade program requires 5 for speaking and listening and 4 for reading and writing.

They all require work experience, at different occupation levels, either in Canada or abroad. The Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Worker Program do not require a job offer, but the Federal Skilled Trades Program requires a valid job offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year, or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.

The Canadian Experience Class and Federal Skilled Trades Program have no education requirement, but the Federal Skilled Worker Program requires at least a secondary education.

How to apply

Useful documents for an application include a passport, language test results, an educational credential assessment report, a provincial nomination (if you have one) and a written job offer from an employer in Canada (if you have one). If you are eligible, you will be placed into the Express Entry pool using a points-based system, based on the information in your profile.

If you are then invited to apply, you will need to submit the documents above, as well police certificates, medical exams, and proof of funds. You need to submit proof of funds for the Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Federal Skilled Trades Program, unless you are authorised to work in Canada and have a valid job offer.

You do not need proof of funds if you are applying under the Canada Experience Class. The level of funds required varies depending on the number of family members (including yourself) from C$12,669 for one person, to C$33,528 for seven people.

If you have a criminal record, you may not be allowed to enter or stay in Canada. You must have a medical examination from a panel physician before applying for permanent residence, as must your family members, even if they are not coming with you. Your application for permanent residence will not be approved if your health is a danger to Canada’s public health or safety, or would cause too much demand on Canadian health or social services.

More information on the Express Entry scheme can be found here


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here